A video of a dog unable to stand on its own feet after eating some cannabis-laced edibles is making the rounds on the internet today as a warning about the dangers of legalized marijuana. But we see something else.
The video, posted in April, shows a Siberian husky named Loki who is indeed struggling. The dog’s tongue hangs out of his mouth, he can’t stand. He’s stoned, okay.
According to the shocking UK Daily Mirror, the British tabloid known for paying legal settlements after printing falsehoods the video posted on Monday, this video is “shocking”.
We’re not so sure.
First of all, there is the intention. According to the video’s creator, the dog was not drunk for sports. It appears that a less than vigilant cannabis user left an edible unattended, and the dog ate it.
“This guy likes to get involved in things,” wrote Tony Costa, who posted the video to YouTube. “After investigation, we determined that he went into a bag belonging to one of our friends and ate his rice krispie treat filled with marijuana.”
Second, he recovered – completely.
“After contacting our vet friends we knew it was just a wait and see game,” Costa wrote. “We watched him closely for the next 20 hours. The next morning he was still high and able to walk, by that evening he was back to normal running. And today he’s back at work, think that he didn’t learn his lesson :).”
This is a reminder of two things. First, always keep your medical cannabis safe and away from pets and children (as well as unsuspecting adults). Two, if someone happens to come into your stash, you’ll be fine. It may take a while.
For those outraged, imagine the dog eating prescription drugs, a cigarette butt, or a dog dish of beer. Then imagine the outrage.
Reports of pets ingesting marijuana are on the rise in the United States, as a news report reveals every few months. As always, the formula seems the same: make the pet comfortable and wait – and try not to do it again.