By Oscar Pascual |
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) no longer takes cannabis edibles with a grain of salt.
Citing the recent death of 19-year-old college student Levy Thamba from a suspected edible marijuana overdose, the CDC has issued a warning about the dangers of edibles, calling for stricter rules and regulations during their production, the CDC reports. . International Business Times.
“Although in this case the deceased was advised not to eat multiple servings at once,” CDC researchers wrote of Thamba, an exchange student from the Republic of Congo during spring break with his friends in Denver in March 2014, “he reportedly ate all five of the remaining servings of the THC-infused cookie within 30-60 minutes of the first serving.”
The report also adds that Thamba was “marijuana naive, with no known history of alcohol abuse, illegal drug use, or mental illness.”
A police report found that the saleswoman advised Thamba’s group to eat only about one-sixth of the cookie, which contains the recommended dose of 10 mg of the psychoactive compound THC. But after a few minutes without feeling any different, Thamba ate the whole cookie, taking in 65mg of THC in the process.
Consuming large amounts of THC can trigger bouts of “cannabis psychosis”, behavior that is influenced by THC and can lead to paranoia, hallucinations or delusions.
The horrific incident has dismissed the CDC advocating for stricter regulations, such as clearly marked labels and correct dosages. A study published in June found that edible cannabis products are regularly mislabeled for their potency.
“This case illustrates a potential danger associated with recreational use of edible marijuana,” the CDC said in their statement. “Although in this case the deceased was advised not to eat multiple servings at once, he reportedly consumed all five remaining servings of the THC-infused cookie within 30-60 minutes of the first serving, suggesting a need for improved reporting about public health. to reduce the risk of overconsumption of THC.”
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons